Saturday, July 17, 2010

Falcondance by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes


THE KIESHA'RA SERIES BOOK 03

Falcondance by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes
Delacorte Press
Published in 2005
ISBN 0385731949
183 Pages

PLACES TO BUY FROM:


CHECKED OUT THE BOOK FROM MY PUBLIC LIBRARY.
I OWN A COPY THROUGH A BIND-UP VERSION.
BOUGHT THE OMINOUS THROUGH AMAZON.COM.

Review/Rating:

3 out of 5



Nicias, a son of two outlawed falcons, has never felt at home in the Wyern's Court, but he somehow feels drawn to Ahnmik, where falcons live. His powers are awakening, so he has no choice but to go to the falcons' homeland. With warnings from his parents, he goes there, so that he can get back to guarding Oliza Shardae Cobriana, heir to both thrones. However, should he trust Araceli, or a stranger not of his blood? He has to choose wisely because everything he holds dear is at risk.

Another book review for The Kiesha'Ra series. I'm only two books away from finishing this series. I can't wait until I get rid of it since I'm not really starting to like the direction the series is going. :( Oh, there might be some spoilers, so watch out for them. :X

Like most series, the third book is usually where it gets less interesting or turns toward something you won't really like. For Falcondance, it's a little of both less interesting and turning something that I didn't like. Don't get me wrong, I like plot twists, but only when it goes more toward the characters I like the most.

Anyways, unlike Snakecharm, which takes place after a couple of months from the previous book, Falcondance takes place about twenty or so years after Snakecharm. That's my first problem with books like these, you miss the childhood moments for Oliza, Nicias, Salem, Sive, etc, so you kind of miss out on how their personalities got like that. There are some childhood flashbacks, but not that many. I think there is only one in this book.

Now for my second problem in the book, my favorite main characters, Zane and Danica, only have small parts in this book. I like the other characters, but Zane and Danica are my favorites. They have a spark that the other characters don't really seem to have. Nicias is a good character, and so far, he is my fourth favorite character. My third favorite is Andreious/Sebastian. I might list my favorite characters in this series on the last book review. :X

Like in the second book, Snakecharm, you learn more about how the avians, serpiente, and falcons came to be, like why the avians were created in the first place, and other parts like that. There is this one part where it mentions that the avians and serpiente will never be able to combine without one giving up their culture. They might be able to live in peace, but they wouldn't never truly get along since the two powers wouldn't be balanced. That part gave me a headache since it made thought about several things like: how are Danica and Zane are able to live in peace then? To me, it added some plot holes when the author did that. Also, you find out what happened to Zane's older brother while he was on the falcon lands, which I really don't like.

Despite the short-comings, Falcondance was very well written, but I like the first book a lot more than this one and the second one. The descriptions are a little bit less, but the events are suspenseful. Finding shapeshifter books, just on their own, are rare, so that makes this book even more wonderful. I miss Danica and Zane as the main characters, but I hope the original spark will come back. I still think it would have been better just to end it with the first book, and not this one. I just hope the last two books stay on the tract it's on right now, since at this rate, I really don't like where it is going.

Anyways, go ahead and read the book, even though it doesn't have the same spark as the first one.

Other Reviews/Author Site:

Amelia Atwater-Rhodes
Goodreads: Falcondance by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes
Library Thing: Falcondance by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes
Where the Wolves Read: Falcondance by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes

No comments:

Post a Comment